Home Forest Educators Lesson Plans Resources Links Special Events Contact Us

TIMELINE: THE HISTORY OF TRAIL

Okanagan Falls

Okanagan Falls

1811

David Thompson, first white man to discover future site of Trail.

1856 Fort Shepherd built near the mouth of the Pend d’Oreille River.
1887 First Rossland claim staked.
1890 Col. E.S. Topping pre-empted Trail townsite.
1893 Wagon road links Trail and Rossland.
1894 1st Great flood to wipe out Trail-reports indicate the river rose to 1368 feet above sea level.
1895

Crown Point Hotel was constructed.

Town’s 1st school- was opened “Topping’s and Hanna’s Hall”.

1896

Arlington Hotel on Bay Ave was constructed..

Green Ave School opens.

Bay Ave Bridge is constructed.

S.S. Trail steamboat built.

1897

F. Augustus Heinze completes narrow-gauge railway from Trail to Robson.

Trail’s first jail built.

1898 Fire Hall built on Bay Ave.
1899 St. Andrew’s Anglican Church built on Eldorado Street and Pine Ave.
1900 S.S. Trail destroyed by fire in Robson.
1901

Incorporation of the City of Trail signed in Victoria and Topping was proclaimed 1st Mayor.

1905 Cristoforo Colombo Lodge Benevolent Society formed, first lodge built.
1911

Central School built.

Fruit Fair building erected to become first rink.

1912 Bridge to East Trail opened off Riverside Ave.
1917 St. Francis Xavier Church erected (Catholic Church).
1920

Bank of Montreal opens in Trail.

East Trail becomes part of City of Trail.

1921

First part of the Trail High School in opened on Cedar Ave.

Knox United Church built on Pine Ave.

1922 Knights of Pythias Temple on Cedar Ave. (Shoppers Drug Mart) is built.
1923 City builds new Fire Hall at present City Hall on Pine Ave.
1926

Street paving begins.

Trail-Tadanac hospital built (Demolished in 1956).

1927

New Colombo Lodge constructed at present site.

Royal Theatre constructed.

1928 Present City Hall constructed beside the Fire Hall.
1931

Cominco begins fertilizer production in Warfield.

River Wall constructed in Trail.

1933

Annabelle School built.

Sandy Island becomes Gyro Park.

1934 Trail Times Building is constructed on Cedar Ave.
1938 St. Anthony’s Catholic Church in the Gulch is built.
1939

Trail Smoke Eaters win the World Championship.

Union Hotel on Victoria Street is constructed.

1943 Fire destroys St. Anthony’s Church, but it is rebuilt immediately to same design.
1948 Webster School opens in Warfield.
1949

Cominco Arena officially opens.

Sunningdale School is built.

1950 New curling rink is added to the Cominco Arena.
1951 J. Lloyd Crowe Secondary School opens.
1952 Construction begins on the Waneta Dam at the mouth of the Pend d’Oreille River.
1953

Kids Rink opens at Cominco Arena.

Auto-Vue Drive-in opens.

St. Michael’s School is built.

1954 New Trail Hospital opens.
1956

Grandstand is erected at Butler Park.

Present post office is built.

1959 First piling poured for new Trail Bridge by Premier WAC Bennett.
1961

New Trail bridge officially opens.

Trail Smoke Eaters win World Championship.

Columbia River floods East and West Trail.

1962

City’s Winter Works Program begins construction on rock walls in West Trail.

Smoke Eaters win the Allan Cup.

1963 Development of the Birchbank Golf Course.
1965 CPR Station demolished on Cedar Ave and Super-Valu (now Ferraro Foods) is built.
1966 Terra Nova Hotel opens.
1968 Trail and Tadanac amalgamate as one municipality.
1975 Former RCMP building next to City Hall is built.
1978

Kootenay Hotel on Rossland Ave is destroyed by fire.

Waneta Plaza is built on Hwy 3B.

1990 Original Montana Hotel (Funky John’s) is destroyed by fire.
1995

Trail Aquatic and Leisure Center Opens.

Trail hosts the World Championship Babe Ruth Baseball Tournament.

1996 Gorge Creek swells and floods the merchants along Spokane Street- one fatality.
2000 Millennium Celebration in Trail.
2001

Trail’s 100th Birthday Celebration.

Cominco Mining and Smelting was bought by Teck and is now called Teck Cominco.

2004 The Auto-Vue Drive-in Theatre was demolished and Wal Mart was built in its place.
2005

Canadian Tire was constructed and opened April 17th.

Tim Horton’s was constructed and opened in October.

2006 McDonalds Restaurant closes Hwy 3B location and moves downtown Trail.
2007

Trail hosts Jr. World Championship and Canada West wins!

Early Bird Building was demolished for possible location for Esplanade Center

Population of Trail: 9000

« Return to Index

Home Newsletters Lesson Plans Resources Links Tours and Events Contact Us Help?

© Learn Foresty & Ingenius Webdesign