Home Forest Educators Lesson Plans Resources Links Special Events Contact Us

TIMELINE: THE HISTORY OF SPALLUMCHEEN

Name – (pronounced Spall-um-cheen) is an Indian word meaning variously “Beautiful Valley” “Flat Meadow” or “Meeting of the Waters”. The area took its name from the river – a continuation of the Shuswap.

1866 A.L. Fortune – first settler in Spallumcheen.
1867 Thomas Greenhow, Cornelius O’Keefe & Thomas Woods started L&A Ranch. They came from Oregon with herds of cattle destined for the Cariboo Gold Fields and settled here.
1870 B.F. Young arrived in Spallumcheen, driven North by the Great Depression in the United Starts. He bought half interest in the Furstineau Ranch at Lansdowne. A school was established on their property.
1874 A.L. Fortune brings his bride Bathia (whom he married in 1862 before he left to seek his fortune) from Ontario – the first white woman to come to the Okanagan.
1878 Donald Matheson arrived in Hullcar. He was a member of the first Municipal Council, Sept. 1892. Elected Reeve in 1913, also first President of A&S Agricultural Society (later I.P.E.).
1881 Augustus Schubert and son Augustus brought a large stretch of land in Round Prarie (Schubert Road area). Catherine and Elizabeth, their wives joined them in 1883.
1883 A sawmill, driven by a waterwheel, had been established in Deep Creek (Gulch Road). Levi Patten arrived to manage it and 5 years later bought the property next to the sawmill and built a custom gristmill operated by the water mill at night.
1884

The Post Office opened at Hullcar (named from the Shuswap Indian word “Hurrahar” meaning “Big Rock”).

Hotel built in Lansdowne.

Pleasant Valley School was built (Old School Teahouse).

1885 Round Prarie School completed – Thomas LeDuc was the teacher.
1886 St. Ann’s Catholic Church built at O’Keefe Ranch.
1890 Shuswap & Okanagan Railway started construction to go from Sicamous to Okanagan Landing through Armstrong.
1892

Majority of buildings had been moved from Lansdowne into Armstrong to the railway line.

First meeting of Spallumcheen Municipal Council, Sept. 24.

Business: set land values for assessment, election of officers, called tenders for road construction.

1893 Knob Hill School built. (burned in 1998)
1900 First Fair.
1902

First Creamery established beside Davis Creek (Fortune Creek) where the Campsite is. The Creek at this point was also the swimming hole for the local youngsters.

Dam built on Davis Creek and laying of pipes began for a water system.

1906 Work started on Powerhouse on Davis Creek. Dam was built for a City reservoir and also supplied energy for the plant to run.
1908 Free mail delivery for all farmers on the Armstrong Hullcar-Falkland route.
1909 Hullcar Hall opened – Social life of the community revolved around the Hall. Church Services were held there by the Presbyterian Minister.
1910 T.K. Smith bought the Wyatt sawmill and logging operation at Hullcar.
1913 Armstrong incorporated as a City and joint operations mostly took place in town.
1929 First combine in the Province of BC used on the L&A Ranch.
1966 Municipal Industrial Park instituted on airport land.
1985 Spallumcheen opened the new Municipal Hall.

« Return to Index

Home Newsletters Lesson Plans Resources Links Tours and Events Contact Us Help?

© Learn Foresty & Ingenius Webdesign