Home Forest Educators Lesson Plans Resources Links Special Events Contact Us

TIMELINE: THE HISTORY OF OSOYOOS

10000-9000 BC First people arrive in the area.
1400’s European settlement of North America begins.
1700’s Horse comes to Okanagan.
1811 First European people in the Osoyoos area, David Stuart with Pacific Fur Company.
1846 Agreement of the 49th parallel as the western between Canada and U.S.A.
1851 John Carmichael Haynes was appointed by Colonial government as Custom Collector and Gold Commissioner in “Sooyoos”.
1859 Gold discovered at Rock Creek.
1864 First bridge built to span the narrows on Osoyoos Lake (5 feet wide).
1865 First Custom’s house built at “Sooyoos”.
1883

General Sherman passed through “Sooyoos” with a large company of horse soldiers.

Small-pox epidemic kills one in every three Aboriginal people.

1886 Indian Reserves were formed.
1888 Judge Haynes dies.
1899 Typhoid fever epidemic.
1907 First orchard planted in the Osoyoos area by Leslie Hill.
1914-18 WWI
1917 First school opens in Osoyoos.
1927 Irrigation for Osoyoos.
1930 Oliver Sawmills Ltd. is established (started in 1923 by Harry Fairweather).
1937 Osoyoos Gold Mine opens.
1939-45 WWII.
1940 Osoyoos Gold Mine closes.
1944 First train arrives in Osoyoos.
1946 Osoyoos sawmill fire.
1947

Osoyoos flood.

First Osoyoos Cherry Carnival.

1948 BC Aboriginal people receive the right to vote in Provincial election.
1951 Osoyoos Elementary school opened.
1954 Osoyoos Junior Secondary School addition completed.
1958 Osoyoos Primary School opened.
1960 Aboriginal people receive the right to vote in Federal election.
1979 Osoyoos Secondary School opened.

 

« Return to Index

Home Newsletters Lesson Plans Resources Links Tours and Events Contact Us Help?

© Learn Foresty & Ingenius Webdesign