Home Forest Educators Lesson Plans Resources Links Special Events Contact Us

TIMELINE: THE HISTORY OF CLINTON AND AREA

1793

Alexander Mackenzie’s trek from the junction of the Peace and Smokey Rivers over the Rockies to the Pacific Ocean. Start of the sustained fur trade in the Pacific North West.

1806 - 1890 Railway pushed into the area.
1840’s A branch of the Hudson Bay Brigade track. Swept 30 miles east of Clinton, linking with the Kamloops Trading post.
1858 Clinton Hotel burned down killing 3 people – at that time this was one of the oldest hotels west of the Rockies.
1861 Trail connection over Pavillion Mountain to Kelly Lake Road and onward to Clinton, completed by Wright and Calbreath.
1862 Clinton Hotel built.
1863

East Section of the Yale-Cariboo Road from Spences Bridge to Clinton completed.

Clinton officially became the name, replacing the previous nave of “The Junction”. Named after the Colonial Secretary of England – Henry Tiennes Pelham Clinton, the 5th Duke of Newcastle.

Gang Ranch was established by Jerome and Thaddeus Harper.

1866 First Grist Mill established in Clinton by J.H. Scott.
1869 Longest continuous running ball was held in Clinton and continues today.
1872

First Government Agent of Clinton appointed – Charles Edward Pope.

Clinton Jail burns.

1873 New School House opened in Clinton.
1892 Red Brick School House (now the museum) was built.
1911 Government Stables built for Ministry of Highways.
1960 A school was built on the Gang Ranch and ran for about 10 years.
1963 Village of Clinton was incorporated.
1977 The Alsagar Family purchased the Gang Ranch. This was the first time the Ranch was actually owned by Canadians.

« Return to Index

Home Newsletters Lesson Plans Resources Links Tours and Events Contact Us Help?

© Learn Foresty & Ingenius Webdesign