Home Forest Educators Lesson Plans Resources Links Special Events Contact Us

TIMELINE: THE HISTORY OF BARRIERE

Thank you to Sandra Holmes for sourcing out the historical information from the book:

North River (2000)
By: Muriel Pouton Dunford
Sonotek Publishing Ltd.
PO Box 1752
Merritt, BC V1K 1B8

Simpcw were the First Nations people of the area and at that time called Blue River ‘Muddy Water’.

1861

Overlanders went through the Blue River area. (page 59)

1862 Prospectors searched for gold in Blue River. (page 46)
1862 – 1863 Dr. Cheadle and Lord Milton were the first ‘tourists’ to pass through. They were self professed ‘pleasure seekers’. (page 59)
1871

Alfred Selwyn conducted an early geological survey of the area

Photographers Ballzly & Hammond took the first photos through the North Thompson. (page 73)

1872

CN Rail Engineer Chief Sandford Fleming decided Blue River was named for the deep soft blue of the far hills as one looked upstream. (page 81)

1876 William Showers supervised a crew cutting trails for Truche’s Survey Party. Thomas Trapp passed through Blue River with a pack train loaded with supplies and cattle for Tete Jaune Cache. (page 92)
1874 Joseph Hunter a Scottish Engineer and Charles Fortier a Metis Woodsman passed along Blue River to where it met with the Thompson River. (page 97)
1894 J.F. Smith prospected through Blue River. (page 118)
1902 Geological Survey conducted and Surveyors thought there may be gold in Blue River. (page 130)
1909 Austin Cook was the first homesteader in Blue River. He hauled supplies by riverboat and Mt. Cook was named after him. (page 221)
1910 The Blue River Trading Post was a viable business. (page 198)
1912

Angus Horne was a Surveyor and homesteaded in Blue River

Eleanor Lake was named for Dr. Harrison’s daughter. (page 263)

1912 BC Forest Service was created.
1913 North Thompson was divided into 3 Forest Districts with Blue River being one. Bill Noble was the first Forest Ranger. (page 292)
1913 G.S. Stewart built a small store in Blue River. Mrs. Stewart was first white woman. (page 203)
1915

First CN Rail train to pass through Blue River. (page 219)

CNPR construction only 7 families lived in Blue River. Blue River became divisional point, at first railway families had to move into bunk cars. (page 222)

1917

First Post Office in Blue River. CN Rail trains carried the mail (page 159)

First school was built for the Blue River students. (page 178)

1923 McPherson, a local store keeper battled to have the road connected. At that time it ended 25 kilometers south of Blue River.
1926 A fire at Wells Grey opened the country to road building. (page 183)
1927 Angus Horne was a gold prospector and miner he blazed trails to Angus Horne Lake and Azure Lake. He died in 1948. (page 206)
1930

First caravan of cars travel to Blue River to celebrate the Avola to Blue River road completion.

Japanese evacuees involved with the road construction during WW II. (page 188)

1932 – 1940 Four young doctors began their careers and lived in Blue River. Today there is one nurse. (page 230)
1939 Ski Club was organized. Mr. J. Conrad of the CNR Brides Engineer Department stated “It is a most ideal skiing paradise”. (page 297)
1970 The highway was finally paved. (page 188)

« Return to Index

Home Newsletters Lesson Plans Resources Links Tours and Events Contact Us Help?

© Learn Foresty & Ingenius Webdesign