Home Forest Educators Lesson Plans Resources Links Special Events Contact Us

TIMELINE: THE HISTORY OF ARMSTRONG

The first inhabitants of the North Okanagan were the Salish Indians. They were a peaceful people – mainly traders. The women gathered roots and berries in the summer – the men hunted elk and deer and speared salmon in the winter.

Armtrong was named after William Charles Heaton – Armstrong. He arranged financing for the Shuswap-Okanagan Railway, 1890.

1891 Sawmill opened by C. Brewer.
1892

Railway in regular operation and most of the buildings from Lansdowne moved into town.

15 room Armstrong Hotel opened.

1893 Hotel burned – first large fire in Armstrong.
1894 Flour mill established.
1896 “Lock-up” (Jail) built on corner of Bridge St. and Railway Ave.
1897 First curling held in a cattle barn using turned birch ‘rock’ & handles put in by the black-smith.
1900 First Armstrong Fair.
1902

Okanagan Hotel opened.

Armstrong Advertiser established.

1905 First Dentist, Dr. S.F. Fraser established his practice.
1906

Work started on the Powerhouse on Davis Creek. The Dam made the City Reservoir and supplied energy for the plant to run.

Agriculture Hall built with Skating Rink built behind.

1907 Home owners digging own water connections.
1908 R.R. Burns first Druggist in Armstrong.
1909 First automobile purchased by Mark Hill.
1910

First Post Office in Armstrong.

Bank of Montreal builds new building.

1911

Motion pictures came to Armstrong in March when Messre Sawyer & Mann began their business.

Public watering trough installed to enable people from the country to water their horses.

1912 First Nursing Home opened.
1913

March 13, City of Armstrong incorporated. J.M. Wright, first Mayor.

City bought five acres of land for a Cemetery.

Drill Hall built – became Centennial Hall in 1967.

1914 Septic tanks must be constructed on all city properties – an end to outhouses.
1915

High grade oil found between Armstrong and Enderby.

Wood for Powerhouse cut with cross-cut sae & split by axe, wedges & sledge hammer. (a cord of wood is a stack 4 feet high x 4 feet wide x 8 feet long)

1916 Joint City and Municipal Hall built (now City Hall).
1919 Okanagan Valley Lacrosse League reorganized – Armstrong undefeated all season until final game.
1920 First Theatre opened.
1921

Tenders of new Fire Hall let (now Lawyers Offices).

Consolidated School opened.

First fleet of School buses in Province of B.C. operated to accommodate Consolidation.

Armstrong-Spallumcheen Hospital officially opened.

1922 Armstrong Co-op Association incorporated Feb. 11.
1925 Lawn Bowling Greens laid out in front of Hospital.
1926 Royal Canadian Legion Chartered.
1927 J.E. Jamieson bought the Armstrong Advertiser, which is still owned by the Jamieson Family.
1928

Armstrong-Spallumcheen Public Library Association formed.

Recreation Center built.

1929 Replacement Agricultural Hall built.
1936 Library joined the Okanagan Union Library.
1938 The Cheese Factory commenced operations – the only facility in the Province making Cheddar on a large scale.
1940

Present Post Office opened on New Year’s Day.

National Registration for everyone over 16 years of age.

1941 Credit Union established in Armstrong.
1942

War Rationing – sugar, gasoline, tea, coffee, butter, and finally meat.

“Blackout” established.

1943 Seed Growers Association established.
1945 All children under 16 registered for Family Allowance.
1946 Inland flour Mill sold to Buckerfields Ltd.
1947 Grand Opening and Dedication of the Memorial Park & Swimming Pool, July 1st.
1949

Sale of margarine legal in Canada.

Sliced bread came to Armstrong.

Automatic telephone system inaugurated.

1950

For 2 months temperatures ranged from -20 degrees F. to -40 degrees F. resulting in frozen pipes all over town.

New Co-op store opened Jan. 6th (site of Rose Valley Square), 36 days later (Feb11) it burned to the ground – no Insurance.

1951 Funds raised & a new Co-op building opened Feb 12.
1952 Old Age Pensions began - $40.00 a month to + 70 year olds.
1953 An Armstrong road sign bore the startling information “Slippery When Icy”.
1955 Hassen Hall constructed.
1958

B.C. Centennial project was the building of the Library now the Chambers of Commerce building.

Lat steam locomotive #4308 made its final run through Armstrong.

1959 Kindale located on Rosedale Ave. and built by the local Kinsmen, opened as the school for Retarded Children.
1963 Kinsmen donated the first Ambulance to the community.
1966 Curling Club building erected.
1984 Armstrong-Spallumcheen Museum opened.
1988 Art Gallery opened.
1993 New Legion building opened.

« Return to Index

Home Newsletters Lesson Plans Resources Links Tours and Events Contact Us Help?

© Learn Foresty & Ingenius Webdesign